I receive a lot of questions from newer tanks via e-mail or I read about struggling tanks who are getting discouraged, in a world where a WoW Heroes score seems more important to PUGs than actual skill. But it’s never been easier than today to get awesome tanking gear in little time. Don’t let the snobs discourage you and stick to your game plan. Consider all my previous gear lists irrelevant after the big gear reset of 3.2. Here’s your ticket to fabulous tanking gear that will find you ready to tackle Ulduar-10.
I will list several pieces of gear per slot. The top piece is your entryway into heroics, the second or third piece your gear progression.
- Tempered Titansteel Helm – buy in AH or bring the mats to a friendly blacksmith.
- Helm of the Crestfallen Challenger – Once you’re comfortable with tanking H ToC, this is what you should pick up next.
- Conqueror’s Siegebreaker Greathelm – buy this one last with 58 Emblems of Conquest, as the above is superior until the 4pc T8 bonus.
- Titanium Earthguard Chain – buy in AH or bring mats to a friendly Jewelcrafter
- Shard of the Crystal Forest – excellent 19 badge purchase
- Crusader’s Square Pauldrons – common as dirt BoE drop in CoS (reg or heroic), which seems to be the daily on my server just about every day. Should be able to pick this up cheap anywhere.
- Regal Aurous Shoulderplates – lovely shoulders from H ToC
- Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions – Honored with Wyrmrest Accord, your companion for a long time
- Platinum Mesh Cloak – still a valuable buy at 25 Emblems of Valor
- Breastplate of the Solemn Council – Revered with Wyrmrest Accord, which should take you right to…
- Conqueror’s Siegebreaker Breastplate – earn 58 Emblems of Conquest, buy it, hug it, gem it, love it
- Tempered Saronite Bracers – This is our problem slot, there is very very little selection. Starting out with the crafted bracers should be sufficient to get you to…
- Bindings of Dark Will – in H CoS, a fairly common drop off the 2nd boss
- Bracers of the Herald – H OK, the best you can get outside of a raid instance.
- Mercy’s Hold – fabulous gloves from reg ToC, well worth running this until you receive it.
- Gauntlets of the Royal Watch – a sweet deal at 28 Emblems of Conquest
- Waistguard of the Risen Knight – common BoE drop in H DTK, should be cheap.
- Ancient Aligned Girdle – a direct upgrade in H A-N
- Shieldwarder Girdle – available for 28 Emblems of Conquest, unless you want to get yourself the crafted…
- Indestructible Plate Girdle – made by a friendly blacksmith, mats might be a bit steep
- Legguards of Abandoned Fealty – from reg ToC, absolutely fabulous starter pants, and should be more than sufficient for raiding. I raided Ulduar-10 in worse!
- Wyrmguard Legplates – a lot of item budget is wasted on block rating and SBV, but these are the highest ilevel legs outside of raid instances. I personally would not purchase them if you have the above, and wait for a raid drop.
- Boots of Heartfelt Repentance – yet another strong drop from Trial of the Champions. These boots will take you a long way.
- Spiked Deathdealers – crafted by blacksmiths, cost a pretty penny, but are most excellent
- Titanium Earthguard Ring – fabulous ring, crafted, save up some gold and profit
- Signet of the Accord – BoE drop in Obsidian Sanctum-10, should be up in the AH or…
- Keystone Great-Ring – if you’re still def-capped anyhow, drops in H Drak’tharon Keep
- Alternatively any of the blue tanking rings from heroics. Eventually replace one of the above with…
- Mark of the Relentless – beautifully itemized ring from H ToC, just no defense on it.
- Seal of the Pantheon – regular Halls of Lightning. Should it just not drop, have Dabiri’s Enigma or Adamantine Figurine as standby.
- The Black Heart – the sacred grail of stamina, available in regular ToC
- Wanted: Ragemane’s Flipper – start out with any of the quest rewards as per race and personal taste.
- Axe of the Sen’jin Protector or Teldrassil Protector – if you enjoy the Argent Tournament Dailies, these are available for 25 Champion’s Seals.
- Peacekeeper Blade – replacing the H UP sword as best available tanking weapon from heroics, this vibrating turkey knife is where it’s at. Stuff a def gem in it if necessary. Available in H ToC.
- Titansteel Shield Wall - crafted by blacksmiths
- Royal Crest of Lordaeron – with a lead on avoidance, this drops from H CoS and is still your best bet outside of raids
- Armor Plated Combat Shotgun – crafted by engineers, and still the best in the slot for us.
Before anyone mentions that I did not list any of the Emblem of Triumph upgrades, they’re not the purpose of this post and I greatly recommend the ever fabulous Tankingtips.com to help you spend your hard-earned EoTs.