Mar 24 2009

Addon corner: Kadomi’s UI as video

As I mentioned I dabbled with my first video. The quality could be lots better, but I wanted to try the performance of my computer while capturing in lower resolution first. Went great, so I am ready to actually try high resolution very soon. For best quality, click in the HQ button. I have added annotations, but if you have any questions, please let me know!

Per request, some static screenshots as well:

UI in combat

UI out of combat

Visible addons in the video:

Filed under : addons, videos | 29 Comments »

29 Responses to “Addon corner: Kadomi’s UI as video”

1. lostforever says:

Yay UI post :)

Can you post a big screen shot pls?

Certainly, will add one as soon as I get home.

lostforever Reply:

If possible can you post one taken during raid please?

Also got some questiosn,

1) how much memory are they taking up in total please?

2) You don’t use recount but use Skada Damage Meter. Any reasons why please?

1) Probably around 35 MB with AuctionLite turned off. The price database is a bit of a memory hog.

2) Recount is one of the worst resource hogs I ever used. It uses around 4 MB, even when I am not actually recording data with it. Skada is new, very modular, can also be used as threatmeter, and has a way smaller memory footprint.

2. Naissa says:

Oooh! Nice UI! :) – I was thinking of posting mine as well soon but I want to make a couple adjustments first.

I so have to check out some of those mods that you use!

Naissa´s last blog post..And now a word from our hunter.

3. Armagon says:

Very nice video.
    Damn YouTube won’t let me watch it maximized when the browser doesn’t have focus.. *shakes fist*

Very nice, clean and organized UI. One question: Do you heal with the raidframes of your oUF layout or do you use grid or healbot?

My way to a good and functional UI is mostly by downloading a compilation I like, stripping it down of unnecessary stuff and tweaking it to my liking, then clutter it up with useless stuff to finally delete every single addon I don’t absolutely need.

Right now I’m rebuilding my UI, I’m pretty happy with it and I’ll write a post about it soon. Little preview:

The base is the beautiful oUF_Asym Compilation.

And please keep those videos coming, I enjoyed it very much.

drug´s last blog post..3.1 – First conclusions

Thanks for the encouragement. I need to finish the rest of our Naxx videos, and I want to do a healing video soon too.

I heal using Grid+Clique, because I like seeing health deficits and the raid frames of ouf_pazrael only show health percentage.

Your UI is smexy, I will have to check out that compilation. What’s the chat addon?

drug Reply:

I too switch too grid for raidframes whenever I heal. For me especially positioning is an issue (tanks doesnt need raidframes at the same spot as my healer) and of course corner indicators in grid + gridstatusraiddebuff.

Chat mod is basicchatmods. It has pretty much all the basic features of Chatter. Chicchai does the very stylish auto-minimizing. Textures behind chat/actionbars are coded by Dawn, autor of oUF_Asym.

drug´s last blog post..3.1 – First conclusions

5. Demonedge says:

What was the addon that you used to program to causes the visible effects such as Shield Slam and 50 Rage. I couldn’t quite make it out when you said the name and didn’t see a box appear about it. Like you as a tank I would love to be more focussed on my avatar, the area around me and the creatures im fighting, rather than the ability buttons all the time.

Sorry about my English, I am just a widdle German. ;) The addon is Power Auras Classic, link is listed above.

Armagon Reply:

You’re not easily spotted though I’d say.

Maybe my pov is somewhat skewed (and the native speakers are silently laughing at me), but normally I can tell Germans speaking English apart from others and your talk was more fluently and easier to grasp than that of many native speakers. :P

Armagon´s last blog post..Armagon: What a boring night. World Explorer on my Warrior and lots of Skype chatting made it bearable at least. No Helm of Wrath from Ony though :(

6. lostforever says:

Thanks for the screenshots. They make it easier to see whats on the screen.

I take it you have not listed all your mods? For example ora2?

Oh, yeah, that’s not all of them, I only listed the visible ones in the video. oRA2 I use in raids, and I use a bunch more things in raids, like XRS. I will do another video with my raid UI soon.

7. Moo-Moo says:

Lovely run through Kadomi, very well explained.

Any chance you can put up the config of your Power Auras (Export)? I am struggling to re-create the setup you have there and it looks like a good one.

/Moo

Sure, I will export my settings sometime on Friday (day off work) and will put them up, so watch this space. :)

8. Marymoon says:

Nice addons, Tough I´m a noob at warrior addons, whats that one that tells you when Sword and board is active and ready to use?!

That’s MikScrollingBattleText, one of my absolute must-addons.

Marymoon Reply:

Awesome , ty Kadomi !

9. lostforever says:

Just watching the video again and I see two icon just above classtimer bars. The icons looks like “Demoralising shout” and “Thunder Clap”.

What addon those icons from please? What function are they performing?

They go away after awhile. I think after you have used them.

Those two icons come from Power Auras Classic. I have set them up to start flashing when those two debuffs are missing, once applied they go away. Extremely handy on boss fights.

lostforever Reply:

Ah very interesting. Is there some way to select spell icons in Power Auras Classic? I don’t see that option.

I will try harder again tonight :)

Is there any chance you can upload your Power Auras Classic config file somewhere? :)

lostforever Reply:

i missed this line out :)

“pretty please “

I will actually make a Power Auras video this weekend, and I will make my settings available for import to Power Auras. Expect something posted by Monday. :)

10. $teele says:

Kadomi, have you ever made a skill-is-ready power-aura for revenge? The addon works like a charm for all other skills, but i cant get revenge to work, it would bring up the icon of the bronze dragon and not do a damn thing :<

I have a Revenge aura, yes. I will actually make a Power Auras video this weekend, and I will make my settings available for import to Power Auras. Expect something posted by Monday.

$teele Reply:

Ah i didnt think of you using the english WoW .. maybe im getting this bug because im playing the german version. And thanks a lot for this post, powerauras has greatly increased my performance and this post inspired me to rework all of my UI and im quite fond of it now that i have everything fit on like 10% of the screen. On a sidenote i had to discard MSBT again, how can you keep track of what you are hitting with cleave for example when all the numbers scroll at the same place? Anyways, looking forward to looking into your poweraura settings.

11. Throk says:

Kind of a n00b question maybe but what mod do you use that gives your the thick black bar as the background behind your action bars, chatter window, etc.?

I use Aperture, which you can get at wowace.com, but you can use any ol’ Viewport addon, e.g. CBH Viewport.