Back in the day, Blessing of Kings had this lovely overview of hit caps for TBC. Rohan didn’t update it, and so my one-page reference for all questions regarding hit to point guildies at was gone.
Which is as good a reason as any to start my own compilation. Here we go, your ultimate list for hit ratings. My thanks go to the editors of Wowwiki and various class forums to help fill my blanks.
The unmodified spell hit cap without any modifications is 446. Various talents will modify this value. In all cases, you can take off 1% (27 rating for spell casters) if a Draenei is present in your party, due to Heroic Presence. Furthermore, you can take off 3% (79 rating for spell casters) if a Shadow Priest provides the Misery debuff or a Balance Druid provides the Improved Faerie Fire debuff.
- Death Knight: 368 with Virulence
- Druids: 342 with Balance of Power, 263 with Balance of Power and Improved Faerie Fire
- Mages: 368 with Precision for fire and frost mages, or Arcane Focus for arcane mages; 289 for arcane mages with both Arcane Focus and Precision
- Priests: 368 hit rating with Misery, 289 hit rating with Misery and Shadow Focus
- Shamans: 368 with Elemental Precision
- Warlocks: 368 with Suppression
The unmodified physical hit caps without any modifications are
Dual-wield auto attack: 886
Special attacks and auto-attack: 263
Various talents will modify these values. In all cases, you can take off 1% (33 rating) if a Draenei is present in your party, due to Heroic Presence.
Modified values for special attacks:
- Death Knights: 164 dual-wielding 1H weapons with Nerves of Cold Steel
- Hunters: 164 with Focused Aim
- Rogues: 99 with Precision The poison hit cap is 315 with Precision and 446 without (based on spell hit).
- Shamans: 66 with Dual-Wield Specialization For Maelstrom Weapon, enh shamans will however have to gear for the spell hit cap 446.
- Warriors: 164 with Precision
I was unable to find any modifier for paladins and feral druids, so their cap for special attacks is 263.
Because it bears mentioning, two additional values:
26 expertise (about 214 expertise rating at level 80) to negate a boss’ dodge chance,
60 expertise (about 492 expertise rating at level 80) to prevent parries
Find any errors or inconsistencies? Speak up!