Sep 30 2008

An overview of tanking glyphs

Thanks to Aylii I stumbled over my first tanking glyph today: Glyph of Revenge Holy crap, is that awesome, or what? While Revenge might proc less reliably with the Shield Block changes, it still lights up a whole lot. With that Glyph you could use a Revenge macro that would queue up Heroic Strike, for awesome TPS. I am in love. Which means I actually have to look at Inscription and what it can do for us tanks.

You will be able to use three major glyphs and three lesser glyphs. I actually don’t know if you can replace any of your glyphs, we’ll have to wait and see. Now, let’s see which of the glyphs could prove useful for tanks:

Major Glyphs:

• Glyph of Barbaric Insults: Clearly wins for the name. What it does is that it adds a Taunt to Mocking Blow. The current mechanics of MB are that it forces the mob to attack you for six second, without any threat change. Unlike Taunt, which will actually put you on top of the threat list. With the Glyph, Mocking Blow will be able to do both.
  • Glyph of Blocking: increases block value by 10% for 10 seconds, after using Shield Slam. Mmmm, block value.
  • Glyph of Devastate: applies two stacks of sunder per Devastate. My immediate reaction is to call it weak. To proc S&B you will use a lot of Devastate anyway, so keeping a full stack of Sunders up is no big deal.

Update: My immediate reaction lies in this case, as my commenters have made me see the light. Fast threat on multiple targets possible, plus a fast full stack, for more grinding power when soloing. Hot!
  • Glyph of Heroic Strike: you gain 10 rage for crits with HS. Not so great for tanking, when you’re limited to 3 glyphs, IMHO.

Update: That’s what happens when I post early in the morning, I don’t think things through. This can be a wonderful source of rage. With the Glyph of Revenge we’ll be using Heroic Strike reliably, and will get rewarded for crits.
  • Glyph of Intervene: if you Intervene a lot, and I don’t really do, you might get some mileage out of this glyph. You get an extra attack on you instead of the party member you Intervened too. With Warbringer sure to be in my build, I am fine just using that instead of Intervene.
  • Glyph of Last Stand: while a reduced cooldown would be nice, the health loss makes it unattractive to me. This is something I use on bosses in a pinch, and only sometimes while soloing, so I shall give that one a pass.
  • Glyph of Revenge: as mentioned above, this glyph is just awesome.
  • Glyph of Sunder Armor: if this affects the Sunder Armor effect of Devastate, this would be fantastic for building threat on multiple targets. Has anyone tested this?
  • Glyph of Taunt: again, depends on how much you really have to taunt in 5-mans, and how often you get resists. I won’t want to use this.

That’s it for the major glyphs. There are a couple more minor glyphs, including Glyph of Thunder Clap, which given the TC changes seems pretty nice to have.

If I had to pick glyphs right now, at least major glyphs, I would go with Revenge, Blocking, and Sunder Armor if the effect applies to Devastate. If it doesn’t, then I would go with Heroic Strike instead.

How about the rest of you, what do you think? As a note, the glyphs are of course still subject to change until Inscription goes live. I will definitely pick that up with one character, using Siha’s wonderful Inscription Guide.

Filed under : professions, wotlk | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “An overview of tanking glyphs”

1. Khrushchev says:

I like the looks of the Devastate glyph. I figure I’m still going to be doing a fair amount of tab-devastate, so getting up 2 sunders on a mob is a nice early threat lead. Even on a boss encounter, really. Instead of 5 hits to get a full stack up, I only need 3. I do like the blocking and revenge though. I just recently got my warrior copied over to the beta realm and played around with Sword and Board. It was proccing constantly and I was able to shield slam about twice as much as normal. I think the buff from the blocking glyph will have nearly 100% up-time while tanking.

I didn’t look at it like that. That would make it very good for multi-tanking indeed. This glyph picking will be difficult!

2. Skaze says:

The sunder armor glyph does indeed work with devastate but I stupidly got my hopes up thinking it would actually devastate the second mob. It only applies a sunder armor effect, but it’s much better than nothing.
    I’m actually trying to get my hands on a devastate glyph to see if a single devastate will apply 2 sunder armor effects to a second mob if I’m also using the sunder armor glyph. Doubt it will but I’m keeping my fingers crossed anyways.

Oh, that’s great, Skaze, please let me know how that works out.

Skaze Reply:

Just got my hands on a devastate glyph and was sad to find out it doesn’t stack a second sunder effect on an additional mob if you pair it up with the sunder armor glyph. Even though I didn’t expect it to work I’m somewhat let down about that. :P

Aww, you’re breaking my heart here. But it would have been too good to be true.

I have no idea if I’ll go for a Sunder or a Devastate glyph. How about you?

3. Thugthedum says:

I have tried the Sunder glyph. It does affect Devastate. It is that awesome! No doubt a must have imo.

Thugthedum´s last blog post..Al’ar’s Revenge?

4. Finelle says:

For tanking, Glyph of Blocking is my first choice, followed by Revenge and Heroic Strike.

When levelling my order will go Devastate, Revenge, Blocking. Being able to fully sunder something in 3 Devastates will be huuuuge for levelling/grinding.

5. Lunestone says:

I’d go for the Intervene glyph… especially if I continue offtanking. I often intervene on the MT to get extra rage on bosses… receiving an extra attack would be freakin’ awesome :) Plus I use it a lot since I seem to be the one watching for strays coming off the pally or MT…

It makes sense for OTs, I think. I was thinking in terms of MTing and 5-mans. Did they ever say anything definite about the threat transfer for Intervene in WotLK, yes, no? Because that would make Intervene for OTs a much less viable ability to use.

Finelle Reply:

Intervene knocks 10% threat off, so I’d hope an OT doesn’t use it multiple times a fight, the threat penalty could get rather bad. Warbringer’s Charge lets you stun the target for a second. I feel that Glyph of Intervene is about the same as Glyph of Taunt, if you’re using those quite a bit, something is rather wrong.

Albinobeard Reply:

I think you guys are looking at using intervene in the completely wrong way. The threat knock down makes it amazing for OTing but you shouldn’t be Intervening the MTing, you should be intervening your highest DPS, and then using Warbringer to charge back at the boss to get that rage we oh so crave!

Albinobeard´s last blog post..Mitigation Stats, Your Favorite? My Favorite!

6. brain9h says:

Glyph of Heroic strike is just great. In many we are taking enough damage to use heroic strike every swing. Our heroic strike will be criting a lot and returning rage, allowing us to use even more heroic strikes.

Glyphs I’d choose: Block, Revenge, Heroic Strike.

7. Trix says:

Glyph of Sunder armor is good for AOE tanking since it applies the sunders (but as mentioned above, not the devestate damage).

It has a pretty annoying “bug” at the moment where if you are out in the world and a yellow-con mob (say a crab or something) it will tag that mob too, you’ll have threat and will be forced to kill it.

All the more annoying while you are doing DEHTA quests and killing an innocent animal will place a debuff on you for three minutes that makes DEHTA mobs not like you.

Gorbachop Reply:

I noticed that bug last night as well. I’m pretty sure it was popping spore’s on Loatheb and mushrooms on Amanitar in Heroic: Ahn’kahet even though it didn’t looks like it was causing any damage.

It was nice for AOE threat though.

8. Ohando says:

i’ll take inscription on my warrior when i can. So for my 4 major glyphs i’ll take:
    -Glyph of devastate (or glyph of revenge)
    -glyph of blocking
    -Glyph of heoric strike
    -GLyph of sunder armor (or glyph of revenge)

I read somewhere that the threat bonus from the second sunder armor effect when you got the glyph of devastate was not the same as the first sunder armor effect.

I think it’ll be like 1/2 of the threat from a regular sunder armor (i’m not sure tough).

Interesting. Has Satrina run her numbers on that at Tankspot? Will be interesting to find out.

You have listed all five glyphs that I find really awesome, it’s going to be a tough choice. I still don’t have much of a clue how expensive the Glyphs will be matswise, to switch it up.

9. Ohando says:

With the sword and board proc frequence, i personally think that the devastate glyph is really necessary.

Our threat cycles will be modified with the S&B proc, and we might do less devastate in the begining of the fight, so stack our five sunders will be a pain without this glyph.

Let’s consider that the S&B proc will compensate the lack of threat of 5 regular sunders.

10. CrazyIvanTR says:

Tried the sunder and devastate glyph combo. Doesn’t work unfortunately…